Friday, May 31, 2013

Funding for the farm

So after almost two years of talking about it I have finally taken the plung and posted a crowdfunding site to try and raise the money for my sustainable farm. As some of you may know already from my previous posts I visited Growing Power in Milwaukee last year and was completely impressed. According to their own estimates they grow enough, food, fish and eggs to feed 10,000 people. All on only 3 acres of land in the middle of a major city. My plan would take this idea to a large scale. By increasing the amount of space and using the same growing plan and organization I feel I could triple or even quadruple the amount of food they produce. And along with a solar panel array to power all the equipment and provide a small income from surplus power I feel I could sell all that I produce at about half the price of the same items in the store. This would open an option for people that could not otherwise afford healthy food.
Of course the amount that I'm requesting is enormous, all of it though would go to keeping this operation open for at least 3 years. In that time I would hope it would catch on and become truely self sufficient.
Because I'll be getting all of my funding from the community and my own meager savings, my goal would be to give back to the community. To that end a qaurter of all the food I produce would be donated to the local food shelves and soup kitchens for the homeless. I feel it is the least I can do for the donations that I hope to receive for this endeavor. Also making a non-profit would see to it that money made on this would go to other charities and outreach programs to help others learn how to produce their own food.
It's a big dream and will take a big miracle to pull off but please take a moment if you can donate and do so at the URL below. Thank you as always for reading.

http://www.gofundme.com/30kpko


Also feel free to check out Growing Powers website and see the basis for this idea at. www.GrowingPower.org

No comments:

Post a Comment