Monday, April 22, 2013

Week 7 Work work work

So you may have noticed that I was late in posting this week, and for that I apologize. But as I am learning more and more, this whole thing takes work. And not to discourage anyone from doing it because I think it is well worth it, but it is a lot of work. Time management has been key in keeping things moving at a more managable pace. However, today I found myself with to many jobs and not enough time. Planting season is well upon us and I have been working to get seeds started for planting. On top of all that fishing for meat is also a priority and tonight I was out yet again with my buddy Bill trying to catch something. Tonight however we were not so successful.
Sunday did see us catch a couple nice fish, a 21 inch Northern Pike and a 10 inch Yellow perch, they will make a nice meal tomorrow. We also caught three nice size largemouth bass but unfortunately they are not in season yet.
Along with seed starting I am also planning new improvements to the hydroponic and container gardens I started last year. Working to improve those systems and make them more productive, I'll post pictures when they are done and up.
Rice I have decided is truely a life saver, taking what would otherwise be just enough meat for a single meal and turning it into a week long dish for taking to work for lunch. The rice scare had me worried but luckily the large bags of rice I had purchased were from the USA.
Turkey season is coming soon, in just a couple weeks, with any luck I will be able to bag a couple. Then the long haul to fall will start when there is no hunting seasons in and fishing will be the primary source of meat.
Weekly shopping was 40 dollars this week so that continues my trend of saving money.
My thoughts also return to the farm idea from last year. I remain convinced that with the proper funding I could raise enough food to feed the entire city of Burlington, and South Burlington and do it in a manner that would keep the cost affordable to everyone. But big floods start out as a small rain drop as my friend Bill says. So since I don't have the money to go big to start I will keep things small and build it up. To that end my wife and I are actively looking for a house of our own, where we could truely do what we wanted in terms of growing and alternate power options.
Anyway in closing thanks for reading and again I apologize for being a little late on this post, stay tuned as I'm sure things are going to get even more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment